Re: newbie question: Getting through XDM with a newly-installed applcation

David A. Cobb wrote:

Kent West wrote:

David A. Cobb wrote:

[NOTE: This is a re-send of a post to <debian-x@...>. With apologies]

Hi.
   Pardon the dumb question.  I've looked through what I can find and I
can't tell how what doesn't work differs from what does.
   I've installed packages mozilla-firefox and mozilla-thunderbird from
apt.  I also have ( in /opt/... ) versions un-tarred from the
mozilla.org nightlies.

<snip />

What do I need to do to get these things running?
Thanks,

Erm, you're not logged into X as root, are you?

Yes. It's when I try logging in as not-root that I cannot even run the thunderbird installation that I /can/ run as root.

Logging into X as root is generally not a good idea.

Logging into X as one user and trying to run apps as a different user is generally fraught with difficulties, such as the "

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:" error you mentioned earlier.

What I would suggest is to install sudo, add your normal user to the sudoers group with as much or as little privileges as you want to give yourself, and then log into X as your normal user. Then install Moz like so:

in a console window:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox mozilla-thunderbird
cd /opt
sudo tar -xvzf DownloadedMoz.tgz
sudo run_whatever_Moz_installer_script_necessary

Now you can run the Debian versions from the window manager's menus (assuming the "menu" package is installed which updates all your window managers' menus) as a normal user. Or you can run the untarred versions as a normal user with something like "/opt/mozilla-firefox/firefox &".

--
Kent West
Technology Support