Re: newbie question: Getting through XDM with a newly-installed applcation

Kent West wrote:

David A. Cobb wrote:

[NOTE: This is a re-send of a post to <debian-x@...>. With apologies]

Hi.
   Pardon the dumb question.  I've looked through what I can find and I
can't tell how what doesn't work differs from what does.
   I've installed packages mozilla-firefox and mozilla-thunderbird from
apt.  I also have ( in /opt/... ) versions un-tarred from the
mozilla.org nightlies.

<snip />

What do I need to do to get these things running?
Thanks,

Erm, you're not logged into X as root, are you?

Yes. It's when I try logging in as not-root that I cannot even run the thunderbird installation that I /can/ run as root.