Simple sound recording?

I need to input sound and output a file in .au format. It would be easiest if I could input from a cassette recorder and a patch cord, since someone else will be making the actual recording, but I can handle other methods, if necessary.

I have used snd before, but was primarily using downloaded files, I wasn't recording my own stuff. I did manage to record a test file then, but I can't seem to get it to work, now.

I just downloaded sound-recorder, which seems to be about as simple as it can get. I figured that I could convert the file format after I got it captured. It certainly seems to record, but I get a nice, large file with nothing actually recorded to it.

Can someone tell me how to get either of these working, or suggest another program that will do this very simple task?

Any help will be appreciated.

Marc