"oss mixer api", "oss pcm (digital audio) api", "oss sequencer api".

This is what i get when i startup:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.6 (Sun Aug 15
07:17:53 2004 UTC).
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: suspend_hc
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49203 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
ALSA device list:
  #0: Intel ICH5 with AD1981B at 0xdffffa00, irq 17

i installed alsa mixer and set the sound ON (not mute).
Then i put a music cd in my computer but i had no sound.
In applications ==> desktop preferences ==> sound , "enable sound server
startup" was OFF so i put it on.
i could hear .WAV files and my avi movies had also sound, but NOT an
audio cd...until yesterday....no more sound
With enabling the sound server, the icon in the upper side of the
desktop for adjusting the sound disappeared.

So, now i have no sound at all!
what do i have to do to make it work again ?

cheers,
Phil.