Re: When sarge goes stable

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:25:12PM +0100, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Sid will always be the code name for unstable. In Toy Story Sid was
> the kid who used to break all the toys.

Yup.  Some people have backronymed it to "Still In Development" which
also fits sid's perpetually-unstable nature.

> I am not completely sure if
> there will immediately be a new testing release once Sarge becomes
> stable. The name for the future testing release is already known:
> Etch.

Based on past stable releases, I expect that, when sarge is almost
ready, its status will be changed to "frozen".  Frozen basically
behaves like stable (i.e., no changes other than bug fixes), but with
the understanding that there are likely still a lot of bugs (and
compatibility issues in general) still out there.

When sarge freezes, I would think that testing will continue to be
automatically updated as usual, but with the name changed to etch, in
which case there will not be a hiccup in testing.  It is possible
that testing could remain sarge and be frozen until the release, but
I can't think of any reason to do that.  If it is done, though, it
would produce a hiccup in testing prior to sarge being declared
stable rather than afterwards.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that