Re: What Version of Debian am I Running?

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 07:17 -0800, Kirchner, Patrick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been running Debian unstable/Sid for 6 months or so and am really
> enjoying it.  I've been keeping things up-to-dates with "apt-get
> update; apt-get -u upgrade", and would install updates every week or
> two.  In the last few weeks I started noticing a long list of packages
> that were described as being "kept back" or "held back", so I did an
> "apt-get dist-upgrade" and no longer get the message about the
> packages being "kept back".
>
> Was there a shift in what was considered Sid, so that when I thought I
> was still running Sid/unstable I was actual running
> Sarge/testing?  Did I correct the situation by running "apt-get
> dist-upgrade" and am I once again running the Sid/unstable?
>
> Here is my sources.list file:
>
> #Debian Unstable
> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable main non-free
> contrib
>
> I'm not having any problems per say, but I'm just a bit confused about
> what happened.  If someone could shed some light on the situation I'd
> be most appreciative.

You are still running Sid.  Since your sources.list only contains
Sid, how could it be otherwise?

This is why you were getting hold backs:
$ man apt-get
       [snip]
       upgrade
              upgrade  is used to install the newest versions of
              all packages currently  installed  on  the  system
              from      the      sources      enumerated      in
              /etc/apt/sources.list.  Packages   currently   in-
              stalled  with new versions available are retrieved
              and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently
              installed  packages  removed,  or packages not al-
              ready installed retrieved and installed. New  ver-
              sions  of currently installed packages that cannot
              be upgraded without changing the install status of
              another package will be left at their current ver-
              sion. An update must be performed  first  so  that
              apt-get  knows  that  new versions of packages are
              available.

dist-upgrade doesn't have that limitation.  Another way to get rid
of them would have been to manually install the held-back packages.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy
discordant images at such speed as to render linear thought
impossible"
Calvin, regarding TV