Re: from a.out to running the darned thing.

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 20:59 -0500, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> I know, this has to be a really dumb question.  I must be
> missing something really simple on this one.  I want to point
> out that googled up and down but must be asking google the
> wrong thing.
[snip]

> I type "a.out" into bash and I get "command not found"
>
> Is there something I have to do to tell bash that this
> executable is an executable, or did I leave out a step?

Why, I bet you're asking yourself, doesn't bash first look in .
when you want to execute a script?

Security.  Let's say someone hacks into your account, and puts in
a program named "ls" that is really a shell script that does
"rm -rf ~".  You see the problem...

This is why putting . and ~/bin in your PATH are very bad ideas.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

I am *not* my children's friend; I am their parent.