Re: Problem: Setting up a Samba based printer in Sarge

Colin Tuckley wrote:
My LAN is mixed Linux/Windoze and one of the printers is on a Windows box.

From my Debian Woody KDE desktop I can use SAMBA to access this printer okay.

I have just installed sarge on my laptop, when I try to add the printer from KDE's print manager dialog I am unable to browse the workgroup. Clicking on the "scan" button brings up "WORKGROUP" but when I click the "+" symbol to expand the tree it sits for a while and then gives up - no view of the available shares.

Typing "smbclient -L <hostname>" at a command prompt displays the available shares for the host (including the printer) so I'm assuming that Samba is working correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Specify the hostname, workgroup and printer share name. Don't have to scan for printers.

It onced worked in my sarge box though I found kprinter could scan correctly again after a recent update.