[debian-user]: debian package list

Greetings,

I've read through the man pages for both apt-get and apt-cache as well as
looked through the APT-HOWTO. None of them answered my fundamental question -
how in the world can I list all of the packages currently installed on the
system? Everything I've tried lists available packages for install or
information per package. I've just recently switched from Red Hat and its RPM,
so for those of you familiar with both, I'm looking for something like rpm -qa
and, specifically, rpm -qa |grep somepackage. What would be the equivalent
under Debian?

Thanks,
Alex.