Re: How to tell WHY apt wants to install so many packages

Juan Cataldo wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:47:17 -0500, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 115 not upgraded.

"115 not upgraded" suggests you have a pending upgrade (apt-get
upgrade) on your system. This may cause the strange apt-get behaviour.

Try upgrading your system first.

Someone else had asked why I didn't want to do a 'dist-upgrade'. I have a dialup account. I don't want to take the time necessary to DL approximately 100 MB, and then do it all over again when Sarge goes Stable. My system is as current as an 'upgrade' will get it.

As I posted a few days ago, by including a couple of libraries that apt want to INSTALL (not currently installed on my system) to the list to be REMOVED everything worked out fine. Apt gave me a warning that the packages were not installed, so would not be removed, but it also did not try to install them, or anything that depended on them. The only packages removed were kdewallpapers (which is what I wanted removed) and the meta-package kdebase (which had kdewallpapers as a dependancy). Nothing else was removed, nothing was upgraded, or installed.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com