Re: Can I partition a disk and make it bootable for windows from linux?

Sam Watkins wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:44:14PM -0500, Spongebob wrote:
>> I have a disks partitioned as follows:
>> hdd1 = vfat
>> hdd2 = linux swap
>> hdd5 = ext2
>> hdd6 = vfat

>> On hda1 I have my windows root directory. Can I copy this to hdd1 and
>> make it bootable?
>
> Sure.  I recommend to use "parted" to copy partitions, it will work when
> the sizes of the partitions are different.  Windows won't like it if the
> drive letter changes, though.  You might have to remove your other vfat
> partition, or hide it perhaps by changing the partition type.
>
> You will need to tell your boot loader about this new windows partition.

Thanks.
Everything has been successfully copied. I still have 2 issues, though.

I have all drives disconnected except hdd, and windows boots correctly. Now
I connect hda. I've removed windows from hda1 and it is now my linux root
partition.

First, how do I make grub load windows? When windows was on hda1, I had
   root (hd0,0)
   title win98
   chainloader +1
   makeactive
in my menu.lst. This doesn't work anymore. Changing the root command to
   root (hd1,0)
didn't work. Adding
   map (hd0) (hd1)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
didn't work. How do I make this work? All I'm getting is a blank screen.

Second,
   sfdisk -l /dev/hdd
gives me a warning about a linux partition not being aligned to a cylinder
head and that this could cause problems because linux will interpret it one
way and windows will interpret it another. How do I correct this,
preferably without losing data?