Trying to to a make-kpkg with openafs modules

Having installed the various pieces of source, incl
kernel-source-2.6.9
kernel-kbuild-2.6-3
openafs.tar.gz

and set up my .config; the make-kpkg ends badly with:

checking for parent in struct task_struct... yes
checking for real_parent in struct task_struct... yes
checking for sig in struct task_struct... no
checking for sighand in struct task_struct... yes
checking for sigmask_lock in struct task_struct... no
checking if kernel uses MODVERSIONS... yes
checking which kernel modules to build... SP
checking for exported init_mm... no
checking for exported kallsyms_address_to_symbol... no
checking for exported kallsyms_symbol_to_address... no
checking for exported sys_call_table... no
checking for exported ia32_sys_call_table... no
checking for exported sys_chdir... no
checking for exported sys_close... no
checking for exported sys_wait4... no
configure: error: no available sys_call_table access method
make[1]: *** [build-modules-stamp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules_2.6.9-2-P0/openafs'
Module /usr/src/modules/openafs failed.
Hit return to Continue
*********

Can someone give me a clue what's going on here?

--
David A. Cobb, semi-retired Software Engineer [t-rex]