Re: Application monitoring?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 01:04:52PM -0500, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:
> I have just installed two test public workstations using Debian and
> would like to have some usage statistics. For example, how often is
> Firefox, OOo and e-mail client started and how many times was
> "about_this_computer" document opened.

You can try "snoopy", this tracks all programs executed.  As for the
document, if they open it by double-clicking on it I think it should
show up as an argument in the exec logs.

I don't know how stable snoopy is.  Ld preload hacks are not renowned
for stability, but this one sounds pretty simple so it should be fine.

If you just want to count usage of a few applications, and you're not
worried about people tampering with the stats, you could write a shell
wrapper for them which maintain a count and call the real applications,
and put it in a directory which appears in PATH before the real
applications.

 snoopy is merely a shared library that is used as a wrapper
 to the execve() function provided by libc as to log every call
 to syslog (authpriv).  system administrators may find snoopy
 useful in tasks such as light/heavy system monitoring, tracking other
 administrator's actions as well as getting a good 'feel' of
 what's going on in the system (for example apache running cgi
 scripts).
 .
 Upstream URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/snoopylogger/