Re: How can I get my sound to come back after boot? Modules?

Hello

Chuk Goodin (<chukgoodin@gmail.com>) wrote:

> I've seen lots of sound questions on here, but none of the answers
> have helped me so far.
>
> I'm running an older machine with an ISA Sound Blaster 16 card in it.
> I'm running Sarge and it's all updated. If I run alsaconf and tell it
> to check for my sound card, I can get sound (well, I can play XMMS --
> there are still issues with KDE sounds, but I haven't done much
> investigating of those yet.)
>
> But then if I reboot, I have to run alsaconf again if I want to get
> sound. KDE starts with an error message telling me the sound server is
> going to run to null output, and lsmod shows no sound modules loaded.
>
> It seems like alsaconf is loading some modules for me that I would
> like to have come up at boot time. How would I go about doing this
> permanently?

There are plenty of reasons your problem could occur. First, make sure
the following packages are installed in the latest available version:

alsa-base
alsa-oss
alsa-utils

If discover1 and/or hotplug are installed, make sure you have the latest
versions as well. Otherwise you could get conflicts with the OSS
drivers. You can also check this manually using lsmod. If the sb driver
is loaded, you probably have a conflict.

Next, make sure the ALSA drivers get loaded. hotplug (if you use kernel
2.6) and/or discover1 should be able to do this for you. Among other
drivers, snd_sb16 should be shown by lsmod. Also make sure alsaconf
generated /etc/modutils/sound (kernel 2.4) and /etc/modprobe.d/sound
(kernel 2.6), with the following lines:

alias sound-slot-0 snd_sb16
alias sound-card-0 snd_sb16

Make sure that you did not configure your system to load the sb OSS
driver (/etc/modules, alias entries in modutils/modprobe.d). If you
have the file /etc/modprobe.conf, delete it.

Check if the volume is set and the channels are unmuted (alsamixer), and
that you are in the audio group (you will have permission problems
otherwise).

And cat /proc/asound/cards, if you have some other ALSA device, e.g. a
modem or TV card, maybe it is the default device (index 0).

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976