Re: mailx & maildir & You have new mail in /home/<account>/Maildir

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:59:22AM +0100, Stevan Kanban wrote :
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:28:24AM +0800, Robert Vangel wrote :
> > Stevan Kanban wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >in /etc/login.defs
> > >#QMAIL_DIR      Maildir/
> > >MAIL_DIR        Maildir/
> > >#MAIL_FILE      .mail
> > >
> > >It should be the same mehanism for annoucement that mail arrived both in
> > >login and in <enter> typing action, isn't it?
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >

> > AFAIK, you should be using QMAIL_DIR for that, MAIL_DIR is something
> > like /var/mail for where the spool is for your user.
> >
> > Also, for the "you have new mail" alerts, in /etc/pam.d/login (or
> > pam.d/ssh, etc) make sure you have
> >
> > session    optional   pam_mail.so standard noenv dir=~/Maildir
> >
> > in there (again, AFAIK, this seems to work for login via tty's but not ssh)
>

> Thanks it works nice.
> I haven't still solved the problem with mailx but the alert at connection is ok.
> Now, by recieving this message on my debian mailbox (filtered by procmail), i will check if the alert will pop up too.
> --
> Stevan Kanban

There's 3 case:
new message in inbox => you have new messages
old message in inbox => you have old messages
inbox empty => you have no mail

That means that pam cannot detect procmail's delivery to mailboxes.
Is there any solution (a postfix flag or something like that)?
May be exist some daemons that can scan mailboxes and alert on console any time?

--
Stevan Kanban