Re: [Fwd: Windows Key Mapping]

From: cga <cga9999@softhome.net>
To: debian <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
CC: Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Windows Key Mapping]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:55:48 -0500

Hi guys,

I used to use the Windows key as one key but with the recent upgrade, that
has changed.

If I recall correctly, both of these keys were mapped to Mod_4. Now in the
GNOME 2.8, it is mapped to a Super_L and Super_R.

Can anyone help me on how I can get my old keys back?

bp

I have this in ~/.Xmodmap

!! WIN9x  & menu keys
!!
clear  mod4
keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R
keycode 117 = Multi_key
add    mod4 = Super_L Super_R

From a command prompt:

$ xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

I have a no idea how gnome 2.8 handles mod4 so I am unsure what you
do next to specify actions w/ mod4+key.  I expect they have some gui config
app where you can specify keyboard shorctuts (?)

Once you get this to work you probably want to add the "xmodmap" command
to some X initialization file like .xinitrc or Xsession.

In case you wonder.. keycode 117 is the menu key. I use it as a "compose" key (Multi_key). Lets you type currency (and other) symbols or accented letters that
your native keyboard doesn't have.

Cheers,
cga

Just tried this, still, nothing happens withing GNOME's keyboard shorcut.

I use the command "xmodmap -pm" and this is what I get (the line pertaining to this subject):

mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_L (0x7f),  Super_R (0x74)

At this point, I'm thinking that GNOME or metacity is at fault here. Any help is appreciated.

bp