Re: Wanting to use a gui with Debian.

--- "Patrick J. Farhar" <pfarhar@wcrtc.net> wrote:

> I have installed Debian and want to use a gui to install other packages
> such as Squid.  My purpose is use the server for caching web pages.  I
> am NEW to linux and do not know how to make Debian give me a gui
> interface at boot.  Can someone please help?  Thanks in advance for any
> help provided.

You will need two things:
1. Desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, etc.)
just do "apt-get kde" and/or "apt-get gnome"

2. a display manager so that the gui is started at boot (gdm, kdm, xdm, etc.)
just do "apt-get gdm" or etc.

This should be enough to get you started. However, the Desktop Environment is based on X11 or the
X windows system. So (and I think that apt takes care of this) you'll need to also install
x-window-system package.

HTH,
ib