Weird behavior for a bash script

Hi all,

I am trying to create a very basic script that exports a global path variable.
I know I can include the export statement in my .bashrc file, but I don't want this variable set
unless I have to have it set. I guess I am hardheaded!

I can't get it to work.

Here is my script:
[QUOTE]
#!/bin/bash
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH='/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig':$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH

[/QUOTE]

That's it. I did make it executable. When I run it, i get this:

[QUOTE]
ib:~$ ./beforeMaking.sh
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:
ib:~$ echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH

ib:~$
[/QUOTE]
As you can see, the path is set in the script, but outside of it, still not changed.
What am I doing wrong? Did I miss something?

Thx,
ib

PS: Debian SID upgraded (apt-get upgrade) today. Using KDE and konsole!