Re: Can't Setup/Configure Mailscanner / Can't Upgrade Mailscanner / Can't Uninstall Mailacanner

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

apt-get --purge \ remove mailscanner said mailscanner
was already uninstalled.  I had successfully removed it
before.  good so far.
Did the apt-get update OK here.
Did apt-get -f install, no errors unless "7 packages not upgraded
would be considered and errror.  I don't usually consider it so.
Then I did the apt-get install mailscanner with the listed output
below:
unpacking mailscanner...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst line22: db_get: command not found
(note: this file doesn't exist. I looked)
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mailscanner_4.37.7-1_all.deb(--unpack)
Sub process pre-installation script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered installing mailscanner
E. Subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)

This looks like a bug in the mailscanner installation routine. I did a quick search at bugs.debian.org, but this bug was not mentioned. You should file a bug against it.

I also did an "apt-file search db_get" to see what Debian package might have the "db_get" command; I found lots of "db_get.something" files, but not just a plain "db_get".

At any rate, looks like a bug report needs to be filed.

In the meantime, you can look in /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst at and around line 22 to see if you can figure out from the context (comments, perhaps?) what's _supposed_ to be happening, and perhaps correct the code based on that. For example, perhaps there's a comment just above line 22 that says "Here we call the db_get.html file to scrunch the foo into the bar", and thus you'll know that line 22 is just a typo, leaving off the ".html" portion of the command. (NOTE: This is just an example of a possibility; I haven't got the mailscanner package installed and have never looked at the code involved, and am just making a suggestion at a fairly long-shot (I mean, [tongue-in-cheek]what decent developer ever documents his code? [/tongue-in-cheek])

--
Kent