Re: how to revert from ext3 back to ext2?

Nomen Nescio <nobody <at> dizum.com> writes:

> You wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 16:10 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > > My /home and / partitions are ext3. I'd like to change them to
> > > ext2. Can I do this just by umounting and remounting them that way?
> > >
> > > Then how do I securely wipe the journals?
> > >
> > > Can ext2 be mounted synchronously? Would this do any harm?
> >
> > Okay, stupid question: Why would you go from ext3 backwards in time to
> > ext2?
>
> "Data hygiene," that is, files on ext2 can be wiped securely with srm,
> for example.

from www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Filesystems/ext3-conversion.html :

<<
One of the neat things about ext3 that makes it safe to try is that you
can easily just remove the journal from the aforementioned maintenance
media:

# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda1

...or just plain mount it with "-t ext2", if there aren't any unflushed
journal transactions. In other words, ext3 is physically just ext2 with
a journal file on top of it.

from macgeek.dyndns.org/empeg/ext3/ :
<<
If you ever want to convert back to ext2 it is a simple process. You need to run
a tune2fs command to remove the journal file and should then do a fsck to make
sure the volume is in a happy state.

empeg:/# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdaX
empeg:/# fsck -f /dev/hdaX

I guess the fsck is to erase the journal .

Alban