Re: How to tell WHY apt wants to install so many packages

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:39:02 +0100
Christian Schnobrich <schnobs@babylon-kino.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:31 -0500, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > Is there any package, or command, that will go through the "depends'
> > for a packages and tell me exactly why apt-get wants to install over
> > 30MB of packages when all I am trying to do is remove ONE package.
>
> I have not gone through your list and tried to figure it out. This is
> just the first thought that crossed my mind:
>
> apt will by default try to update packages where a newer version is
> available. So even if all you type ist "apt-get install something", it
> will not only get the the package something, but also fetch newer
> versions of already-installed packages as if you typed "apt-get
> upgrade".
>
> I don't know if this can be turned off somewhere. My personal
> workaround is not to update the package lists until I want to upgrade.
> So in the meantime apt-get won't even know that there is a newer
> version and hence won't upgrade.

I have never seen this behavior in apt before. I just did an apt-get
update, then did an apt-get upgrade to see that it wanted to upgrade 34
packages and download ~30 MB. I typed 'n' to cancel the upgrade,
installed 3 different packages and it only installed them and their
dependencies. Apt-get upgrade still reports the 34 packages waiting to
be upgraded. Perhaps you (Christian) changed something in one of apt's
config files to cause this behavior?

HTH,
Jacob