How to tell WHY apt wants to install so many packages

Is there any package, or command, that will go through the "depends' for a packages and tell me exactly why apt-get wants to install over 30MB of packages when all I am trying to do is remove ONE package.

Unlike some other recent posters, I am not trying to do anything as drastic as a dist-upgrade. All I want to do is remove kdewallpapers. Apt-get wants to remove kdebase as well (that is perfectly understandable and not a problem since kdebase is just a virtual package), but it also want to upgrade 10 packages and install 21 new packages. I can't see the logic in this.

For instance, apt wants to install "poster". Why? The only package that depends on "poster", according to "apt-cache rdepends poster" is kdeprint, which I do not have installed, and, while it is showing up as suggested when I do "apt-get --purge remove kdewallpapers" it is NOT being installed. So why is "poster" being installed?

The complete output of apt-get is:

:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove kdewallpapers
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  bc cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gv hicolor-icon-theme kdebase-data
ksysguardd libarts1 libaspell15 libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libcupsys2-gnutls10
  libdb4.2 libidn11 libjasper-1.701-1 libnetpbm10 libopenexr2 libperl5.8
  libraw1394-5 libsensors3 menu-xdg netpbm perl perl-base perl-doc
  perl-modules perl-suid poster psutils xaw3dg
Suggested packages:
cupsys-driver-gimpprint xpdf-korean xpdf-japanese xpdf-chinese-traditional
  xpdf-chinese-simplified kdeprint gtklp cupsys-pt akode aspell-bin
  libjasper-runtime lm-sensors lm-sensors-mod-2.9 kernel-image-2.6
  libterm-readline-perl-perl groff
Recommended packages:
  smbclient aspell-en aspell-dictionary
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdebase* kdewallpapers*
  bc gv hicolor-icon-theme kdebase-data ksysguardd libarts1 libaspell15
  libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdb4.2 libidn11 libjasper-1.701-1 libnetpbm10
  libopenexr2 libraw1394-5 libsensors3 menu-xdg netpbm perl-suid poster
  psutils xaw3dg
The following held packages will be changed:
  kdebase-data kdewallpapers
  cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libperl5.8 perl
  perl-base perl-doc perl-modules
10 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 2 to remove and 104 not upgraded.
Need to get 30.3MB/30.7MB of archives.
After unpacking 8602kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

--
Marc Shapiro