Re: woody installation: printers mainly but also mailscanner

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
>
>  I noticed that you were trying out mailscanner.  I don't know if I
> have that package or not.  I keep getting distracted.
>
> 	For example I had thought to work on using my usb printer in CUPS
> although the parallel printer is working fine since the usb HP PSC 1210 is
> faster than the HP 697C.
>
> 	Did you get your printer working?
>
> 		Sincerely,
> 		(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
>

> Hello Again Gail,
> No, I haven't gotten the printer working yet.  I downloaded and installed
> CUPS
> but couldn't get http://localhost/admin to work on my Mozilla browser. I
> get a
> connection refused when connecting to localhost.  Must be some permission
> issue
> like needing to be a su or root.  I can't read syslogs on gnome GUI
> because havent
> figured out how to switch and login doesn't allow to sign in as su or
> root.  I just chown on wvdial and gnome syslog so I didn't have to
> switch.  My kde GUI is also
> broke so I haven't had a chance to try out the kde printer wizzard.  If
> you have any
> idea how to access my localhost/admin please let me know.  I just
> reinstalled KDE, KDM and XDM to see if that would help but haven't tried
> to access my kde GUI
> yet so don't know if I can use the wizard yet.  I still can't upgrade
> mailscanner do to errors even though I did get the old version to
> uninstall.

		(stuff deleted)

> 		 I'm
> still spending about 90% fixing and 10% usin my linux system but
> they(list) tell me that one day it will all smooth out.  Still waiting.
>
> Hope your having a good day,
> Len

	I definitely got the impression that your installation didn't
complete correctly.  I'm usually able to manage my system with just
apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get install.  (And, of course
you've probably seen the others discuss aptitude, synaptic, dselect, etc.)
The only thing that got removed was an automatic removal of lprng when I
installed CUPS.  I haven't even used the autoclean option yet since I have
plenty of room.  I believe that some of the stuff does have to be done as
root.  I can't login the GUI interface as root either, but I remember that
there is a way to allow that by editing some file.  The list discussed it
in the past so a google or two might find it for you.  Of course you can
login as root in one of the text consoles which I had to do when I forgot
the password to my user account.  I used root to set a password.  Oh well,
of the passwords to forget, at least it was the one that I could change!
I also found the sudo package to be helpful.

	Perhaps the KDE wizard would be your best bet since it takes less
intuition to figure it out.  IIRC, you also mixed woody and testing
packages.  That might have caused some nonapparent problems, too.  Like
you, I used the bf24 kernel.  Actually I had to use it because none of the
other options involving the 2.2 kernels would work on my Gateway 500!
They couldn't detect the hard drive partitions!

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
subscribed to the digest but not the list