Re: disaster with LILO, Debian Linux, Windows, and booting

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:40:31PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> "my preference" ... for "security" and portability and fixability
> in the middle of the night that will crash on "christmas" when you
> dont want to be fixing it:
> 	hda1	/	128MB - 256MB
> 	hda2	/tmp	256MB
> 	hda3	/var	512MB - 1GB
> 	hda5	/usr	1GB - 4GB
> 	hda6	swap	256MB
> 	hda7	/opt	rest of disk
>
> 	move anything *you* touch into /opt
>
> 	or reverse the partition number to start from the faster
> 	inside tracks

Personally, I tend to go with an ordering something like /, /home,
swap, /var, /usr on the theory of putting swap in the middle of the
disk (minimizing average distance to anything else) and keeping
heavily-used partitions near it (again minimizing likely seek
distances).  But that's really more of a personal quirk than anything
else...  Most systems don't need to have every ounce of performance
squeezed out of them, so partition ordering won't matter much, aside
from the need to have the kernel in a location that the BIOS can boot
from.

>  Is it the size of the linux partition causing
> > the trouble
>
> nope ..
>
> that fact that you have 1 partiton for all of linxu makes
> it a whacky system

Nope, the problem is the location of the kernel on the disk.  Linux
runs quite happily within a single partition.

> 	- can't grow

Install new drive.  Format new drive.  Mount new drive at /wherever.
No more difficult (or, for that matter, no different) than expanding
a system that was already on multiple partitions.

> 	- can't move

I don't get what you mean by this, but, again, I doubt that the
number of partitions occupied by the system will have a significant
effect.  I can cpio/tar/cp files to a new disk from a non-partition-
root directory as I can from a partition's root.

> 	- no swap

I think you missed the part of his config where he said

>> /dev/hda3 = 2 GB, swap

> 	- no protection against /tmp

That one's easy:  tmpfs.  I never make /tmp partitions any more...

> 	- extended partition between primaries

I've never heard of that causing problems before.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that