Converting stock 2.6.8 config.gz to a custom .config

I'm building a custom 2.6.8 kernel and to avoid making a custom config from scratch I copied the config file in /boot to to /usr/src/linux/.config. Since I'm not building an initrd I know I need to compile in support for my file system so I ran make menuconfig and changed the 'M's to '*'s for everything under ISA Support in Bus Options and under the Ext3 section in File Systems. However, boot this kernel fails with a kernel panic reporting failure to mount the root device.

What options am I missing?

Also, I'm compiling support for all kinds of stuff I don't need and don't really need and don't want to remove by hand. Does anyone have a config suitable for an ordinary desktop PC that would be less work to tweek?