Re: disaster with LILO, Debian Linux, Windows, and booting

I found what I think to be my real underlying problem. /boot/boot.b is
missing. I found it in some old backups of /boot, but they're broken links.
It seems this got messed up at least a few months ago.

My system now boots, but I have no cdrom access. I booted from a rescue
disk, de-installed lilo, and then re-installed it. It hasn't solved
anything, though. /boot/boot.b is still missing. I read somewhere about
/boot/mbr.b. I don't have that either (unless that's the same as boot.0300).

Running lilo messes the system up again, and I have to run lilo from the
rescue disk to fix it (though I'm not exactly sure why it works there,
because within the rescue disk, I do:
mount /dev/hda4 /mnt
chroot /mnt
/sbin/lilo
which is the same lilo.)

So is the missing /boot/boot.b my real problem? If so, how do I get it back.