Re: Problem Getting GUI To Start on 3.0

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

Hi there --

I went through the motions of installing Debian 3.0 on a Compaq DeskPro ENC 866
system. The problem I am having is whenever I run the startx command to start the GUI, I get a FATAL SERVER ERROR: NO SCREENS
FOUND message.

When I did the initial installation of the system, the card type that I entered
in was nv. The card that is in the system is an NVIDIA TNT2.
The text on the screen does indicate that Debian identified the card as a
RIVATNT2 chipset. The desktop manager software that I chose
for the system is gdm, and the highest resolution that I entered was 1280x1024
with 16 bit color.
The text preceding the FATAL SERVER ERROR message indicated the following:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

How can I correct this? Thanks.

Run "dpgk-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and play with the settings.

You might consider upgrading to Sarge (or even Sid) since this is apparently a workstation and not a mission-critical server. You'll get newer packages that are likely to be more satisying than the ancient packages in Woody (soon to be replaced by Sarge).

--
Kent