Re[2]: What can make DNS lookups slow? [semi-solved]

Monday, January 17, 2005, 1:26:48 AM, Daniel wrote:

...lots snipped which I'll come back to some time when I'm not dashing
to main work! ...

DLM> I'm also concerned about something else you stated in your original post
DLM> - that just clicked.  You said this config has been working fine - and
DLM> just started to have problems.  What changed?
I'm pretty sure that what has changed is the way that my ISP is
replying to DNS requests: they used to come back from the IP address
of the server you queried (I suspect), now most replies are offloaded
to a machine on a private address (and not the one you queried).
That's causing the problem as my firewall set up can't see that those
are replies to its requests whereas the proxy arp server going through
it can since the firewall identifies and passes to it its replies on
the basis of its mac address.

Cheers,