Re[2]: What can make DNS lookups slow?

Thursday, January 13, 2005, 2:06:40 AM, Daniel wrote:

DLM> Chris Evans wrote:

DLM> Wowser!  How many %$#@&ing DNS servers do you need?!
I was going on advice (not Linux savvy advice) from my ISP.  I've
pruned to two lines only (the first two servers).  No change in the
problem.

DLM> I dunno how up you are on DNS theory - let me lay some background, and
DLM> if I screw up I'm certain someone else will pounce on me (gently please,
DLM> I bruise easily).
... lot snipped which was good to hear endorsed but did fit
my limited knowledge.

DLM> I use djbdns for my dns servers - but if you need further help setting
DLM> up Bind9 ask anyway.

I have tried running with and without Bind9 and it doesn't change the
slowness.

Any more thoughts?  Are there ways of looking at TCP/IP traffic in a
way that might pinpoint the lookups and help me?

Many thanks,

Chris