Re: OT: The Final Frontier: Blocking "Sponsored Links"

After seeing a particularly obnoxious "sponsored links" text ad in a
story, I decided to see if AdBlock can block pieces of text yet.

(AFAIK it can't, but you can use a bit of global CSS to block some).

Create a file called "userContent.css" in the chrome subdirectory of
your Mozilla profile.  Here's what I have so far:

[begin]
p[class*="story-cip"] {display: none}
div[class="slinks"] { display: none }
td[onMouseOut="cs()"] { display: none }
a[onMouseOut="cs()"] { display: none }
a[href*="url?sa="] { display: none }
a[href*="froogle"] {display: none}
font[class="a"] { display: none }
font[color="#008800"] { color: white!important }
font[saize="0"] {display: none }
[end]

The first two lines block sponsored links on www.technewsworld.com.
Then I took a stab at blocking google and google groups sponsored
links.  It's much harder because they don't have it all wrapped in
a nicely semantically tagged bit.  The body of the ads will still
appear but the links and company names are blocked.

AdBlock is going to need some contextual information, like if the
HTML looks like this go back and block something higher up the chain.

Anybody got any further on this?