Re: Can't upgrade gcc-3.3 (Device or resource busy)

Simon Ward <simon@mivok.net> writes:

> vedm wrote:
>
> | If I try to move the file /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/spec to
> | another name I again get the same message: "Device or resource busy"
> |
> | Any idea how to fix this?
>
> I had the same problem. As suggested elsewhere in the thread, I tried to
> determine if any process was using the file, and booted into single user
> mode with no luck.
>
> My solution was:
>
> cd /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux
> mv 3.3.5 3.3.5-backup
> mkdir 3.3.5
> # I wanted everything except the specs file here
> # couldn't remember the syntax
> cp 3.3.5-backup/specs.dpkg-t* 3.3.5/
> cp -r 3.3.5-backup/{c,i,lib,SYS}* 3.3.5/
>
> and then to upgrade the package as normal.
>
> Simon Ward

This approach worked. :).

I moved the directory to another name, copied back, and then "apt-get
upgrade" did the job.

So I upgraded and rebooted. Then I did this:

#> cd /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5
#> mv specs specs1
mv: cannot move `specs' to `specs1': Device or resource busy

What the fcuk... !?

Looks like on the next upgrade I will have to go through the same
workaround.

Thank all for your help.

--
vedm