Lost DVD mounts after Sarge update yesterday

Until yesterday, I had both my DVD-ROM and DVDRW working fine.  I’m in Debian Sarge, 2.6.8 kernel.

This morning, neither is responding.  The only thing that has happened is an update of Sarge using Aptitude on Saturday night.  The previous update was run on Friday.

The symptoms are as follows.

/etc/fstab still shows the two devices mounted as:

/dev/hdc      /media/cdrom0

/dev/hdd    /media/cdrom1

However, if I look under Devices in Konqueror, both the “CD Recorder” and “CD-ROM” lines are shown with file type of “Unmounted CD-writer” and “Unmounted CD-ROM” respectively.

If I click on either I get an error from kio_devices_mounthelper as follows:

mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist

Please check that the disk is entered correctly.

I (vaguely!) remember that the configuration after the Saturday update asked me if I wanted to change how mounts of drives was managed, but can’t remember what.

If I try to mount the drives again as root user using

Mount -t /dev/hdc   /media/cdrom0

…doesn’t seem to accomplish anything and gives me an error message

Mount: mount point /media/cdrom0/ does not exist

Any ideas?  In particular, is there a way I can check what would have been included in a Sarge update that might have caused the problem?

Thanks.

Phil

This email has been sent from KPMG LLP, a UK limited liability partnership, or from one of the companies within its control (which include KPMG Audit Plc , KPMG United Kingdom Plc and KPMG UK Limited). The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement letter.