Re: Problematic Sid, Bug reports, etc.

On Friday 14 January 2005 17:46, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I recently installed the apt bug list module. On any apt install or
> > upgrade, bug lists are downloaded. If there are any entries, one is given
> > the option not to continue installing. Since then, I have not succeded in
> > any apt-get upgrade but gone through groups manually.
>
> I'm using sid, and I haven't had any problems with apt-listbugs.  It
> would be nice, though, to be able to exclude a package and all of the
> relevant dependencies and proceed with the rest of the update.

No, I am not having problems with apt-listbugs. I think the main problem in
usage is just this! I have to start over after having deleted the request to
update the problematic package. KPackage itself has bugs requiring a reload
of the data in order to then re-select and try again. Without this, though,
is is nigh impossible (I am unable to figure out the UI of aptitude, et al.)

> > Several entries including OpenOffice and gcc!! are listed with grave and
> > critical bugs (Others threaten to remove stuff I do not want removed but
> > this is another issue.).
>
> Have you been looking at the status tag for these bugs?  In my
> experience, most of them are marked "<done>".  I generally look
> through the full bug reports to see (a) if it impacts my system, since
> often it's only one architecture affected, and (b) if it's relevant to
> the version apt wants to install.

How do I get to the full report? Apt-listbugs has a standalone command line
interface without much explanation.

> > I assume these bugs are for the incoming upgrade (correct me if I am
> > wrong). If so, why place stuff with "grave" bugs on Sid? Anyway, having
> > the option, though making upgrades more laborious, keep unstable a bit
> > more stable :-)
>
> The bugs don't appear to be release-related.  They refer only to the
> impact of the bug on the use of the particular package

I dont know about this. Why would it be flagging a few of the packages to be
upgraded. I am sure there are current bugs listed for all of them. This is
Sid. But then again, why would a package bug-listed as uninstallable be
posted?