Re: Problematic Sid, Bug reports, etc.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:51:36 +0200, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> No, I am not having problems with apt-listbugs. I think the main problem in
> usage is just this! I have to start over after having deleted the request to
> update the problematic package. KPackage itself has bugs requiring a reload
> of the data in order to then re-select and try again. Without this, though,
> is is nigh impossible (I am unable to figure out the UI of aptitude, et al.)

Unless there's an update that I really want/need, I just abort the
upgrade and hope it's settled by the next day.  Not ideal, but it
generally works.  It requires understanding the output of
apt-listbugs, though, or you'll be stuck not upgrading (as you've
learned).

> How do I get to the full report? Apt-listbugs has a standalone command line
> interface without much explanation.

After the bug report summaries (at least in apt-get), you have several options:
"[Yn?...]" (or whatever it is).  When I started using apt-listbugs, I
tried "?".  That told me that I can cut and paste a bug report number
at that prompt, and that will take me to a longer view of the bug
report.  This will list, among other things, the platform and package
version.  This is a curses-based interface (at least for me) with an
option to go to the full bug report, which opens in a browser (I use
lynx for this).

> I dont know about this. Why would it be flagging a few of the packages to be
> upgraded. I am sure there are current bugs listed for all of them. This is
> Sid. But then again, why would a package bug-listed as uninstallable be
> posted?

There might be bugs filed against many of the packages, but you only
see the reports for ones that have updates.  Generally, these are bug
reports against the new version.  It's nice to know about these before
upgrading a package, but a new version will necessarily have few or no
bug reports, regardless of how many actual bugs it has.  There was a
thread a week or so ago about automatically putting package upgrades
on hold for a couple of weeks while waiting to see if any bug reports
are filed by early adopters.  You might want to look through your mail
archives for that (if you have them), check the mailing list page
archive, or google for it.

As for an "uninstallable" package, that's probably specific to a
particular architecture, or the reporter's configuration.  There are a
fair number of bug reports that fall into the PEBKAC category, and
these get closed pretty quickly.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh