Re: Problematic Sid, Bug reports, etc.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:50:32 +0200, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> I recently installed the apt bug list module. On any apt install or upgrade,
> bug lists are downloaded. If there are any entries, one is given the option
> not to continue installing. Since then, I have not succeded in any apt-get
> upgrade but gone through groups manually.

I'm using sid, and I haven't had any problems with apt-listbugs.  It
would be nice, though, to be able to exclude a package and all of the
relevant dependencies and proceed with the rest of the update.

> Several entries including OpenOffice and gcc!! are listed with grave and
> critical bugs (Others threaten to remove stuff I do not want removed but this
> is another issue.).

Have you been looking at the status tag for these bugs?  In my
experience, most of them are marked "<done>".  I generally look
through the full bug reports to see (a) if it impacts my system, since
often it's only one architecture affected, and (b) if it's relevant to
the version apt wants to install.

> I assume these bugs are for the incoming upgrade (correct me if I am wrong).
> If so, why place stuff with "grave" bugs on Sid? Anyway, having the option,
> though making upgrades more laborious, keep unstable a bit more stable :-)

The bugs don't appear to be release-related.  They refer only to the
impact of the bug on the use of the particular package.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh