Re: Windows Key Mapping

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:02:33 -0500, Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I used to use the Windows key as one key but with the recent upgrade, that
> has changed.
>
> If I recall correctly, both of these keys were mapped to Mod_4. Now in the
> GNOME 2.8, it is mapped to a Super_L and Super_R.
>
> Can anyone help me on how I can get my old keys back?

There's a difference between a key's mapping and Mod keys. These keys
were most likely always Super_L and Super_R, but you had them linked
to Mod4 somehow.

I noticed in GNOME that normally, I couldn't use the windows key as a
mod key when selecting keyboard shortcuts (i.e. if I held it down when
trying to enter a shortcut it would just choose Super_L on it's own).
However, By manually executing xmodmap with my .xmodmap file, and thus
aliasing Super_L to Mod4, the GNOME shortcuts tool then recognised it
was a modifier and didn't capture Super_L but waited for the next
keypress.

There's a sample .xmodmap file in another post to this thread.

So you want to find a way of getting either xmodmap run whenever you
start GNOME or alternatively finding the 'GNOME' way of defining the
modifier keys.