How to debug a PCMCIA modem

Until a couple of weeks ago I had debugged my GPRS PCMCIA modem and wvdial that worked (very poor performance but it worked).

Yestaerday I needed this while traveling on a train but the insertion of the card did not produce any visible event in dmesg or syslog ??

I am mostly (not 100%) sure nothing changed in my kernel meanwhile.

Where should I start looking around ?

My kernel is a 2.6.10 with udev and hotplug and ACPI.

First question arises from the fact that no "pcmcia" packages are installed but IIRC they are not necessary since builtin the 2.6.10 kernel.

TIA,
Bob