CUPS loses print jobs

I have cups installed on a remove server.
On many occassions, when the client tries to print something, it just disappears.

But on many occassions it will print seemlessly.

This behaviour is seen when printing from:
Thunderbird
lpr (text and postscript)
FireFox
xpdf
OpenOffice
(others not tested)

When this does happen, there is not a single entry in the cups error log or access log to show any indication that there was a problem with the cups server. There is also nothing in the syslog to show a problem. The disk is not full.

The printer is a Kyocera laser printer running on a USB port. I selected this printer because it was identified as working very well with CUPS.

For starters, I can't find enough information anywhere in the system, client or otherwise, to get a handle on any of this. There may be settings in the cups configuration I can play with. But I'm also concerned that the USB interface is hosed.

The Cups web pages show that the job is submitted and processed. But they cannot be restared.

I could use any suggestions on how to find information for debugging purposes or any relevant experiences. I'm in a fix because the biggest user of the printer is my wife who isn't very tolerant of these linux boxes and doesn't really understand why I don't just use Windows. And for the sake of my marriage and world harmony I am begging for some help. :) But seriously, it kind of sucks when ~30% of the time print jobs don't print.