Re: new debian user

Neerja Jha wrote:
> I'm a new debian system admin for a start-up company. I was familiar with
> Windows and Sun environment but Debian doesn't have GUI interface?
It doesn't have an ``official'' one, but there are multiple graphics servers,
many window managers, and 3 (that I know of) desktop environments.

> It's good
> for administration point of view.
That's a very subjective matter. I personally think that GUIs should never be
used on servers unless absolutely necessary.

> Then, I don't need to go through the
> command line interface.
If you're running a mailserver, you'll probably need to use the cli a lot
whether you use a graphical terminal emulator or the linux virtual consoles.

> Is there any way to install GUI interface on my
> debian.
Yes, first decide what you want to install (see <http://xwinman.org/> for a good
start), then do "apt-cache search <name> --names-only" where <name> is the name
of the window manager or desktop environment you choose. The install the package
(e.g. fluxbox, kde-core, ...) with "apt-get install <name>" where <name> is the
package name.

For example:
$ apt-cache search fluxbox --names-only
fluxbox - Highly configurable and low resource X11 Window manager
$ su -
Password: ****
# apt-get install fluxbox

> It's running like a mailserver. Plus, how to setup out of office
> vacation message?
I suggest postfix, and not using vacation messages, but if you want to use
postfix with vacation messages, install postfix-doc and read the manual (in
/usr/share/doc/postfix).

--

David Mandelberg
mandelbergd@eth0.is-a-geek.org