Re: new debian user

Quoting Neerja Jha <neerjajha@vineyardtechnologies.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new debian system admin for a start-up company. I was familiar with
> Windows and Sun environment but Debian doesn't have GUI interface? It's
> good
> for administration point of view. Then, I don't need to go through the
> command line interface. Is there any way to install GUI interface on my
> debian. It's running like a mailserver. Plus, how to setup out of office
> vacation message?

You can install a GUI on a server, though it will not add much in the way of
functionality.  Your best bet is to learn the command line tools (as they
are much more flexible and powerful) or install a web-based administration
tool like webmin.

As far as a vacation message, that all depends on how your users access their
mail.  If you provide more details on how this happens, I can give you
something more detailed.  In the mean time, look at the "vacation" package.

> Thanks for you support in advance.
>

> Neerja Jha
> IT, Manager
> Ph (O): 925.847.3838 X7708
>    (H): 925.462.8206
>    (C): 925.998.7689

Realize that all messages sent to the Debian mailing lists are archived on
debian.org and numerous mirrors worldwide.  While listing your home phone is
probably fine for personal communications, it will be published for the
whole world to see on this mailing list.  Just something to consider.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Debian.

-Roberto Sanchez