Re: free vs commercial

Frank Van Damme wrote:
Doom 3's system requirements are ridiculous. I've never played city of
heroes, what do you mean with "groups"? Multiplayer with lots of players?
If yes, that seems more memory/cpu bound to me.

    Doom 3's weren't all that higher than some of the other games in the same
genre that came out before it (Far Cry) and after it (Half-Life 2).  Like it
or not that is where the industry always trends.

    As for CoH I mean when 8 people form a group we could be fighting upwards
of 50 bad guys at once.  CoH is also particle heavy.  So no, it isn't
memory/cpu bound.  GeForce 3, 4-5fps in large battles, unplayable.  9800Pro,
same large battles (and some larger) 25-30fps, completely playable.  Same
case, RAM, CPU, audio card, cabling, fans, power supply.  Only difference was
the GeForce 3 was under Cedega.  However my wife's GeForce 4 *mumble* in a
better machine than mine is just as bad so I know that the Win2k vs. Linux +
Cedega isn't the deciding factor.  :P

So that is your choice. I have bought my current card just a little to
early so I have used it on Windows for some time, but I don't think I will
make the mistake to give in to installing the number one crap that can make
a system unstable: video drivers, from a proprietary source.

    You just don't get it, do you?  Those games simply are /not/ playable
without the latest drivers on the latest hardware.  Some of the features
needed *are not there*.

    And for the record guess how many times my Linux + Cedega setup crashed
playing close to 100 hours of CoH and about a dozen or two of Helf-Life 2.

    0.  None.  Ziltch.  Nada.  Nil.

You say unstable but I just don't see it. I will be giving Debian + Cedega another try with nVidia's drivers when I get a far better card than my GF3.