Re: free vs commercial

Steve Lamb wrote:

Frank Van Damme wrote:

Steve Lamb wrote:

Lemme know when ATI support gets to Linux so I can at least play City of Heroes under Cedega. And natively, forget it. There's more to gaming than a few FPS.

http://dri.sf.net/

We both know that DRI support hardly counts when it comes to gaming. DRI doesn't even come close to the newest cards which means unless you want to play games from 2-3 years ago you're SOL.

2-3 years? I think my radeon 8500 could still play doom3, be it in a very low resolution... and that's about as resource-hungry a game can get these days.

So yes, off course dri isn't up to date with the latest and greatest cards, but when they finish something it's stable, which can't be said from drivers from Ati or nVidia. Given the choice, I prefer stability. And yes Ati should be more pro-active in releasing specs, which would help dri a lot and take the work of coding the Linux drivers all by themselves out of their hands. As should nVidia.

--
Frank Van Damme