Re: free vs commercial

Frank Van Damme wrote:
2-3 years? I think my radeon 8500 could still play doom3, be it in a very low resolution... and that's about as resource-hungry a game can get these days.

"be it at a very low resolution." Look, my 9800Pro was already running Doom in a lower resolution that I've become accustomed to and that is not an old card. The 9800Pro is not supported by DRI. Furthermore, the other game that I play quite a bit of, City of Heroes, is neigh unplayable in large groups with anything less than a 9800Pro or comparable. Already the two games mentioned are coming up on a year old so I don't think my original assessment that playing games 2-3 years old is not hyperbole.

So yes, off course dri isn't up to date with the latest and greatest cards, but when they finish something it's stable, which can't be said from drivers from Ati or nVidia. Given the choice, I prefer stability.

Given the choice of being playable *at all* albeit unstable or stable and unplayable guess which I'd choose. .... Second thought, don't guess. I reinstalled Win2k so I could use my 9800Pro again after finding the GeForce3 + Cedega painful. I don't think any of us here is going to argue the Win2k is more stable than Debian. ;P When we upgrade my wife's GeForce4 *mumble* it's going to be to my 9800Pro and I'm going to move up to a higher nVidia since at least they have decent drivers that allow me to play the games *now* and not a year or two from now.

And yes Ati should be more pro-active in releasing specs, which would help dri a lot and take the work of coding the Linux drivers all by themselves out of their hands. As should nVidia.

No. What you mean to say is that ATI and nVidia should be coding the drivers themselves and releasing the source to allow the community to contribute. It seems idiotic on their part to spurn Linux support when a lot of younger (and some older) gamers use Linux and would love to game under it. Open support gains them hardware sales which is where they make their money. Open support costs them nothing. Makes no sense.