Re: /dev/lp0 getting deleted

On Thursday 16 December 2004 10:27 am, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed sarge on one of my machines which went flawlessly. Thanks to
> the team who have done a neat installer.
>
> Initially lprng was installed. I removed it and installed lpr. Funny
> thing is that /dev/lp0 was missing. So, I recreated it with proper
> perms, etc. On reboot it is again missing :-(
>
> How do I set this right? None of my other machines (~4) exhibit this
> behaviour.

I have not experienced that, but I suspect that it is related to udev. Check
that it is installed on your system (dpkg -l|grep udev). If so, try as an
experiment to remove it, and then mknod your device, then reboot and see if
it is there,

I removed udev on my system because I use software raid and udev kept
"removing" /dev/md0 and not creating it in time to allow mdadm to start the
software raid on boot up.

I am still assessing the situation. I have had to create /dev/psaux by hand
(mknod) to run X, I have had to create /dev/hdi to install a 3rd ide
controller.

So Let me know what happens.

Mitchell