snort-mysql and testing

Hello,

I had installed plain snort with no database support and everything
was working fine -- I was getting alerts sent to /var/log/snort/alert.
 Then I removed that and installed snort-mysql.  I created the
database as per the instructions and the user it connects to MySQL as
has sufficient privileges to insert data.

Only problem is that nothing is getting logged anymore.  Nothing in
the database and nothing in /var/log/snort/alerts.

Is this a known problem? Or am I just being really blind and missing
something? The current packages I have installed are 2.2.0-9.

Any help is appreciated!
-Joe