Re: Hung in mid-installation: ucf issue?

Some further info for those following along at home:
On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 14:53 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I am in the middle of a big apt-get -q dist-upgrade (on testing; it
> includes X upgrade) and am stuck on lm-sensors.  It says there is a new
> sensors.conf, and I have changed it locally.  It offers me about 5
> options involving a 3-way merge, but no matter what I type it just asks
> again.
>
> I am running inside an emacs shell, inside a virtual terminal (or do I
> mean console?  what you get to by ctl-alt-F2), logged on as root.
>
> I believe the current section is from this line
> in /var/lib/dpkg/info/lm-sensors.postinst:
>
> # one line in the original
> ucf --debconf-ok
> --three-way /usr/share/lm-sensors/sensors.conf.eg /etc/sensors.conf
>
> ucf is 1.13
>
> ucf is not one of the packages being upgraded.
>
> Any hints would be great (even of the form "it would be safe to type
> ^c"), particularly if they come soon!  If you could cc this edress that
> would be great, as I am not subscribed to the list through it.

I've opened http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=289954
against ucf for this problem, and confirmed that it is specific to
running ucf under an emacs shell.  It's possible the underlying problem
is in debconf or some other package.

I was able to proceed by hitting enter without attempting to type a
number; this gave my default response.

> Ross Boylan
>
> P.S.  Is irc.debian.org working?  I tried to connect using Kirc, but
> couldn't.  I might have a firewall problem.
The relevant port is blocked somewhere in the campus network.