Hung in mid-installation: ucf issue?

I am in the middle of a big apt-get -q dist-upgrade (on testing; it
includes X upgrade) and am stuck on lm-sensors.  It says there is a new
sensors.conf, and I have changed it locally.  It offers me about 5
options involving a 3-way merge, but no matter what I type it just asks
again.

I am running inside an emacs shell, inside a virtual terminal (or do I
mean console?  what you get to by ctl-alt-F2), logged on as root.

I believe the current section is from this line
in /var/lib/dpkg/info/lm-sensors.postinst:

# one line in the original
ucf --debconf-ok
--three-way /usr/share/lm-sensors/sensors.conf.eg /etc/sensors.conf

ucf is 1.13

ucf is not one of the packages being upgraded.

Any hints would be great (even of the form "it would be safe to type
^c"), particularly if they come soon!  If you could cc this edress that
would be great, as I am not subscribed to the list through it.

Ross Boylan

P.S.  Is irc.debian.org working?  I tried to connect using Kirc, but
couldn't.  I might have a firewall problem.