Command Line Completion for Programs?

Title: Message
Hello,

How do I enable command line completion for commands?

For example, on an old system (Knoppix HD install) I was able to:
-type "chown" followed by the first few letters of a user's name, hit TAB, and the user's full name would be automatically completed
-type "mplayer -vo", hit TAB and my -vo options would be listed...

I've tried enabling bash completion in /etc/bash.bashrc by uncommenting this:

# enable bash completion in interactive shells
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
fi
If someone could assist me I would be most appreciative.

Thanks much,

Patrick.