too *many* ttyS's: annoying messages.

This seems to be the opposite problem to the one many of you
are reporting.

Since replacing a motherboard, I started to get the message
  ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
frequently.  I'm getting so many of these on the text console
that it's hard to see what I'm doing when running aptitude.

I googled.  This message seems to indicate that ttyS1 is not
configured properly. I checked with the shop that replaced my motherboard. It turns out I no longer *have* a second serial port, so ttyS1 does not exist. That's why it fails to respond appropriately to its drivers! Now how do I configure it out of
existence?

I'm running a sarge system.  since last summer.  I've never
reconfigured anything involving serial ports, so it is the
way sarge set it up, except for occasional upgrades to keep
it curent.

The cleanesty fix would probably to find out how to make sarge
go through the hardware discovery it does at installation time,
without actually doing a complete instsllation, but I'd be happy
knowing what configuration file to edit how using emacs.

-- hendrik