Re: traffic shaping

Bob Alexander wrote:
On Windows there is a really great application called NetLimiter which does traffic shaping.

When started it shows you a panel with all active connections and for each of these you can interactively set the maximum upload or download band you want to allocate for each of the applications.

Is there something similar under Linux (have 2.6.10 fwiw).

My minimum requirement is that for instance right now I am doing a failry large apt-get upgrade which uses all of the ADSL bandwith I have and makes browsing the web or reading posting to debian list quite slow.

TIA,
Bob

You can try the `trickle' package.

For what you are wanting it for, I use

# trickle -d30 apt-get upgrade

Which basically limits downstream traffic to 30K/s